Missing Camera

Completed: Winter 2013
Course: Typography | DES 376
Advisor: Cassie Klingler
Individual Project 

 
 
 

DESIGN PROMPT

Find a poorly done flyer.
Make it better.
Repost it.

Find a flyer or advertisement in your neighborhood that could benefit from a designer's touch. Redesign, repost and document it in the same location.

 
 

ARTICULATING THE PROBLEM

I chose a flyer for a missing camera, posted in the Art Building at UW. The frantic, emotional quality of the original hand drawn poster comes through pretty clearly, but doesn't read as well as it could.

Challenge: Accepted.

 
 
 
DSCF3055.jpg
 
 
 

SOLUTION

What's there matters as much as what isn't.

I wanted to take the emotional character of the poster, and combine that with some of the literal opportunities of the phrase "missing camera". Giving the poster some dimensionality was also something I wanted to explore, and this is the result:

 
 
 
DSCF3132.jpg
 
 

The missing camera shape combined with the vibrant Nikon yellow pulls attention at a distance, giving viewers a reason to come closer. 

 
 
 
 
 

There's a happy ending to the story too. A few days after reposting the improved flyer in the same location as the original, happened to walk by and find a note pinned to it:

 
 
 

After the poster had been on the wall for a few days, I discovered this strip of paper pinned to it. The strip reads "Thank you kind, talented, mystery maker of this sign...My Camera is Found!"

 
 
 

PROCESS

I used the CNC Mill...to make a poster!

As I worked through the design process on this project, my explorations started with using a toy camera in honor of the original flyer's illustration.  I also tried a purely typographical treatment, and finally an option that leveraged the literal idea of a missing camera.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

To construct the final poster, I originally intended to use the university's laser cutter to remove the camera shape. Turns out that foamcore and laser cutters are not compatible (read: black toxic smoke in large quantities). Instead of setting the laser cutter on fire, I used the CNC Mill. A few trial pieces were needed, but in the end it all turned out pretty well.